15/03/2022

Pre-and-post film reveries

Wandering the streets of Melbourne, lost and in a state of isolation.  Long axes appear as though they lead to something greater, but gradually peter out to suburban nothingness.  

Going to the cinema on my own in the gaps between lectures and then afterwards re-entering the real world in a state of reverie.  I'm more attuned to everyday details: someone's hand tucked into a pocket, a woman's slouchy walk.  The busker playing improvised jazz fills every crevice of the street and my thinking.  I hold back tears as I do whenever I hear Handel or J.S Bach played on a keyboard instrument.  I keep hearing the saxophone, piano, harpsichord as I walk away from the cinema and closer to the end of the axis.  Lost and in a state of reverie. 

Here's an image of a dream-like photograph by Rudi Williams, which I saw while walking down Swanston Street.  This series of images depict a city under construction: architectural and civic disruption & transformation, and are presented on scaffolding around one of the city's many excavation sites. This one's near my uni building.  The other day I could hear mechanical sounds of excavation during a class.  The noise was so immense that I could feel the building slightly vibrating. 

Rudi Williams, Vantage Point