20/09/2019

Seasonal transitions

Stills of footage I took in the garden yesterday when it was really sunny and springlike. The transition of seasons is always exciting as a period of inspiration and anticipation. I'll soon be transitioning into the depths of a cold, wet and dark London winter. In the second still image there are the magpies that fly in daily to get some meat from us to take back to their nest. The family have been visiting us since their previous babies were born last spring. The second last image is of me turning the compost.  I really enjoy this task.  I think my enjoyment has something to do with the feeling of renewal and of being involved in a natural process. 

I took this footage with a film by Italian filmmaker, Franco Piavoli in mind. I watched his beautiful film 'The Blue Planet' at the beginning of last year's summer.  I was eating that season's homemade apricot jam on crumpets and sitting in the sun: a sensual overload.  'The Blue Planet's' images have been stored in my mind through all the seasons since.  The film perfectly distills the changing of seasons and frames humanity as being synonymous with nature and its cycles. Stunning.